Wednesday, August 16, 2006

doublemint twins

I have been wanting to post about this for quite some time, but never knew what to title it or how to go about it. My experience today made me have to post this. (Read below to find out why).



As most of you have probably figured out by now, Jenny & I are together alot. I can't remember the last time (other than vacations) when we have gone all day with out seeing one another. Thanks to are three mile walks each morning we at least spend that forty five minutes together. We discuss how we slept, what we ate for dinner the night before, how many times our kids got out of bed before they were actually asleep and if they slept through the night, Greg and Doug's schedule and what time they strolled, in to lend a hand with the kids, how we are feeling both emotionally and physically, what errands we have to run... We finish up our walk around 9 am and by 11, at the latest, one of us as called the other to find out how we are going to waste away our day. We have been known to just run our everyday errands together and many times with all seven kids. Are we nuts, or what?

On another note, there are days, I guess I should say almost every day, I call and ask Jenny what she will be weaing for the day. We have so many of the exact same things and others that are really similar, just a different color, that we have been known to show up, to the same place, looking like the DOUBLEMINT TWINS. After four years of doing this I have just come up with the idea that we could have had a REALLY REALLY BIG wardrobe if we would have just shared things and bought alot more different stuff instead of always shopping together and each buying the same shorts, skirt, shirt,etc... What were we thinking? I guess it would be difficult to split things up when one of us traveled or when one of us moves before the other. Now, it has gotten even worse with the same clothes thing. Greg and Doug have a lot of similar things, too (I assume that is because we, the wives, buy most of their stuff). Unlike Jenny and I, they haven't learned the "call ahead method". They have gone to pick each other up for meetings or just for us to go out and one of them has to change shirts because the other is wearing almost the identical outfit. The other night, when we went out to Cheesecake Factory, Doug and Jenny came to pick us up and the guys were wearing almost the same khaki shorts and a light blue shirt. It was so funny. Greg immediately left the room to change but little did he know he would come out wearing the same polo, just brown, as Doug's blue one. He said that they were different enough that it didn't matter. All I have to say is we must have great taste in fashion to buy all of the same things even when we aren't together.

Lately, it seems that everyone we see comments on how much Jenny an I look alike. Maybe people have always said this and I just didn't realize it but the past several months we never go any where without someone stopping and saying something. Everyone just assumes we are sisters, maybe because usually if you see one of us, the other isn't far behind. The people from our kids' swim team thought we were sisters the whole swim season. They never asked us so I had no clue. Someone just said something about Luke being our nephew to Greg, or something like that, at the end of the season party. I never have stopped to look at the resemblance (if there is one). Maybe if you just saw us out in public and didn't know us ,we could pass for sisters (of course I being the much older, more wrinkled one). When we were in Utah visiting Steph everyone commented on the three of us, with blonde hair and how we must be sisters. Nope! We didn't even meet each other until five years ago. I guess the saying of how you start looking and acting like the people you hang out with, is true. Sorry Jen, I'm sure you probably hope you don't look and act like me most days.

On Tuesday, at Fiesta Texas, there was a lady sitting soaking up the sun and a good book(unlike Jen & I,we just chase all of our kids around), said, "Ya'll are twins, Right?" I just giggled and said, "Nope, not even sisters." She couldn't believe it.



The best comment yet (the one that made me post about this), happened today before we went to Fiesta. We decided to go and get breakfast at Chick-fil-A (you gotta love those chicken mini's) before braving the heat and water park. Jenny had to run a quick errand so I just said I would meet her there. It is so funny to think we follow each other every where! She had already gotten there, and ordered her food in the drive thru, when I got there. I got in the LONG line and ordered while Jenny pulled up and waited for me. When I got to the window to pay and pick up my food, the lady had a puzzled look on her face. I knew all along what she was thinking but, just smiled and waited for the comment. She said, "Didn't you just....." I stopped her in mid-sentence and said, "No that was my friend." She laughed and said you have the same car- FULL of kids, blonde hair, sunglasses and swimsuit on, and not to mention you ordered almost exactly the same thing! I almost wet my pants (or swimskirt) I was giggling so much. I said yea, we're pretty much the same the only difference is I have three girls, she has three boys, and a girl. I told her I wasn't a closet eater and wasn't back for seconds, in less than two minutes. She laughed and smiled the biggest smile. It made me smile to know we had made someone feel cheery today just by being us, two very different, but very similar girls.

Just one last comment of this long detailed post. I feel very lucky and blessed to have people say and think the things they do about Jenny and I. Even though I don't think we look that much alike I just smile when people think we do. It is a compliment in itself, that they think I look and act like my dear friend. Just one apology to Jenny though. I do catch myself finishing her sentences quite often. I feel like I know her so well that I know what she is going to say before she even says it. Most of the time I'm right but there are a few times I'm wrong.

Thanks for being my Doublemint Twin ,especially lately. I've loved every minute of it.

11 comments:

jess said...

oooh . . . .what a sweet blog. it must be nice to have such a near and dear friend. i've got one of those here and we say say: "we're sisters from another mother".
jess

jenny said...

I can't stop laughing. Especially now that Greg is calling Doug ahead of time to see what he is wearing.

I don't even notice you finishing my sentences for me. I find myself doing that to you! Too funny. And you aren't the wrinkly one. What are you talking about?? I am sad to think less than a year I will be loosing my doublemint. Ohh my stomach hurts!

Anna said...

You and Jenny are both so darling!

Anonymous said...

If it is true that you start to look like the the people you hang out with, and now that me and Greg have basically the same waderobe, and everyone at church seems to get the 2 of us confused. Does that mean I will be going bald soon?

Doug

angela | the painted house said...

So sweet...makes me want to have a twin friend!

angela | the painted house said...

oh, I forgot to say that you two are such hot mamas at Fiesta TX! Who has had 3, 4 kids??? Your 3-miles a day are serving you well!

Anonymous said...

if you remember, i have someone that people think is my sister, only she is 5' tall and weighs less, but we have been friends since you were 5. we also tend to buy similar things, not only clothes,but other things as well. do you have any idea who that might be? love you loads and loads...

Angie said...

Mom, it has to be Jeri she is the only 5' tall person I know except Alli. You need to put your name on the comments instead of signing in as an anonymous person so everyon ewill no who you are.
Love you loads and loads, too.

Jill said...

That's pretty funny about the lady at the drive-thru thinking you were back for more. You two are very cute and look alike, you're lucky to have each other.

Anonymous said...

You guys are really cute! I love all of those pictures & the stories are funny! Especially the one about the drive through. It is true that friends start to look so much alike after being together so much-& I can see how people think you look so much alike! I'm happy that my sister has such a good friend! :)

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks double mint