Sunday, February 04, 2007


Stock Show Stampede Survivors!!

We woke early this morning for our first official race. THe race was to begin at 8 a.m, but knowing we had to drive downtown we thought it be best to get up early so we wouldn't chance being late.

Nerves accompanied me on our drive downtown. I had no idea I would be nervous about running in a race that I volunteerily signed up to do all in fun. I think I was worried about beign able to finish because of the weather. I hadn't been running in cold weather and didn't prepare myself for a morning of freezing temperatures. I had gone out on Friday, and found some yoga pants at Old Navy, in hope these would keep a bit warmer than my shorts, but not be too confining. We bundled up, in our gloves, hats, jackets, and our long pants and warmed ourselves up in the truck on the way down to the race.

We decided to walk around to warm our legs up. Most people were already jogging around. I didn't dare run around. I knew I could finish the 4 miles but to run or jog around for 15 minutes before we add more distance to my already difficult run. The horn blew promptly at 8 o'clock, and we began the run. I thought when we started the weather wouldn't be too bad. After mile one, the next mile was mostly off-road. This part of the race, well sucked. It definitley slowed us down and probably slowed most of the runners. We ran around a lake in grass, rocks, and with tree roots covering the path. I stumbled a couple of times but held it together and finished the second mile. My body was warming up by this point so I shed my hat. Just a little bit farther downthe route, my gloves needed to come off. I was feeling a little fatigued, but kept pushing through it. I had been telling Greg he didn;t need to stay with me. I could tell he could run a faster pace than I was setting but he insisted on running with me. He said he wasn't running to get a great time, he jsut wanted us to run it together. The last mile seemed to take forever. It seemed to just wind back and forth through the rodeo fairgrounds and not knowing where the finish line was made it seem longer. Finally we rounded a corner and could see the finish line. What a great feeling? One to be done, and then the sense of accomplishment. Never in a million years did I think I could do something like this. I was so happy I had done something out of the ordinary. I too, was grateful that Greg and I were able to start together and finish together.

Our time was 34 minutes & 23 seconds. Not our best but definitely not our worst. I was the 12th girl to finish(more guys were racing) and I actually got 3rd place in my age group. I was totally shocked. Here I was worrying about finishing and I finished at the top of the pack.

They had water gatorade, and even BEER(it is the rodeo, but at 830 in the morning!) at the finishline. They also had a cowboy breakfast waiting for us. We got a little bit to eat and decided to hang out and wait for the awards, so I could get my bronze horseshoe shaped medal!!

The first place guy finished in 21 minutes. His pace was a little more than 5 min. a mile!!! That's insane. The top girl finished in a little over 24 minutes(average 6 minute mile!) I had laughed to myself when the first runners took off sprinting. My thought was, what are they thinking? I guess they run these all of the time and they just sprint the entire way. I can't imagine.

Today I'm grateful for finishing something I've never attempted before. Finsihing higher up in the pack than I expected. I'm also grateful for doing this with Greg. I'm happy to say we are already planning our next race.


Donna said...

Way to go! That is so cool that you and your husband ran together.

Kelly A. said...

So awesome! Be careful it is addicting! Congratulations on finishing your first race and the medal!

Bridget said...

Nice job! I am getting so nervous for my race. I need to get my kids healthy so I can continue training. Save the Thur. during spring break for a Chuy's lunch. We are coming to SA that day. Can't wait!

Dana said...

Well congrats to you Angie! How awesome :)

Angie said...

B-I'm marking my calandar now for our Chuy's lunch. Can't wait to see you. You'll do great on your race. You've got more will power than I do.

Allison M. said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment to have done something you have never done before, and done so well.

Great job!

Jenny said...

I told you--you could do it. Your AWESOME. Now when's the 10K? hee hee.

I am loving that rodeo necklace. I think you should have worn it today for our walk as a victory walk.

I am glad you guys ran it together too--much more fun!

Elizabeth said...

That is great on your 3rd place. How sweet that your husband ran with you the whole way! What a fun thing to do together.

Kari said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is great that you did so well! And I love that horsehoe medal.

I'm so glad you found some yoga pants at old navy. Since I posted on here about mine, I have not been able to find mine - urgh!! Another thing about moving, things disappear!!!!

I guess I'll have to go back to old navy and get me some more. The pain of it is, I will have to take the new pants in and re-hem them too (cause they tend to be a little big for me).

pam said...

A big WOOHOO for you! What an accomplishment and I think it's really neat that Greg wanted to run with you, what a sweety. Way to go!

Jill said...

Congratulations on finishing your race! That's a huge accomplishment. Your medal is pretty cool, and you and Greg look great. Way to go!

michelle said...

I can't even tell you how impressed I am! Way to go!