Monday, November 06, 2006

Girl Talk



Today I was able to go to Mackenzi's school to watch the "girls on broadway" video with her. I have to say I was a little caught off guard last week when they sent home the permission form to watch the "period" video. "Already", was my first thought, then "she is just a baby", then I looked at her and realized how big she is and soon she will begin to fit into the
"preteen" category. YIKES!! Didn't I just give birth to her? Time does fly and my sweet little first born daughter, is very much on her way to becoming a young woman.

The video was a bit outdated, seemed like the late 70's early 80's, but was informative. I could tell Mackenzi was a bit embarrassed and taken back by what she was seeing and hearing. I even heard her mumble once "I'm confused"! Poor thing. When she first brought home the permission form she was so excited to get to see something about "girls on broadway" and so happy the boys were not able to see it. I nonchalantely informed her it wasn't just about girls on broadway but about how girls' bodies start to change. I could tell, during the video, her mind was going a thousand miles and hour, and figured she may never bring this stuff up again.

Jenny and I decided to kidnap them from school and take them to Subway for lunch. They were begging us to bring them lunch to school but we thought it was a great opportunity to have a little "Girl Talk" with them over lunch. They weren't much into talking, just giggling between each other, and enjoying their sandwiches.

It was a weird, but a good time to spend with Mackenzi. I don't want her to grow up so soon!

3 comments:

jenny said...

Hopefully we won't have to worry about puberty for another 3-4 years. I guess we just have to realize they are growing up--way to fast!!

Jill said...

That freaks me out that you two have girls that old, but it's got to be comforting that you're going through that together.

michelle said...

I hate it that they grow up so fast. My niece just got her period, she's in 6th grade. I remember vividly when my mom told me all about periods, I was SO embarrassed! But girl talk, now that's good. So cute that you took them out to lunch.